Nusrat Ghani MP is looking to recruit a Parliamentary Assistant to assist her in Westminster. This is a unique opportunity to be part of a team making a real impact for the people of Wealden.
This is not a graduate entry role; prior experience working in or around Westminster is required.
This is a pivotal role within a small, experienced team and the ideal candidate will have a positive attitude, willingness to roll up their sleeves and be confident in acting on their own initiative and working independently.
The role will include management of the MP’s diary and inbox, researching policy and campaign issues and drafting correspondence. An understanding of current affairs, and sympathy with the aims and values of the Conservative Party is essential.
- Some previous experience working in Westminster or a constituency office
- Outstanding written and verbal skills, with keen attention to detail, and an ability to communicate policy clearly
- Ability to complete work quickly, to a high standard, under pressure
- Ability to effectively identify which emails/tasks need involvement of wider team/Ministerial office and which can be taken forward directly
- Focused & self-motivated: able to work independently for long periods of time with minimal/remote supervision
- An interest in current affairs and sympathy with the aims and values of the Conservative Party
- A trustworthy team player with a strong work ethic, able to adapt to meet needs of the MP/team
Duties will include, but not limited to:
- Management of the MP’s diary, liaising with the MP, team and Ministerial office to manage Nusrat’s diary in a professional and organised manner
- Management of MP’s inbox: effectively triaging emails to ensure correct action is taken by the team for each item of correspondence
- Process post and phonecalls received in the Westminster office
- Dealing with all tour, PMQ’s and gallery ticket requests
- Looking after visitors in Westminster: including meeting constituents on a parliamentary tour, a school group visit to the Education Centre, those carrying out short term work experience or anyone meeting the MP
- Assist the team with casework: managing and progressing a diverse range of constituency casework; gathering relevant information to resolve or progress cases, ensuring the Office Manager is kept updated as needed; respond to large numbers of queries from members of the public on a broad range of topics
- Coordinate communication between largely constituency-based team acting as MP’s point person in Westminster, arranging team meetings, taking minutes and ensuring action points are met within agreed timescales.
- Support team members with policy correspondence when required and provide general office admin and support