Apsana Begum MP is looking to recruit an experienced Office Manager to be part of a team making a real impact for the people of Poplar and Limehouse. This is a 12 month fixed term contract to cover maternity leave.
This demanding role will involve you working closely with Apsana to deliver her priorities for her constituents. You will be heavily involved in all aspects of constituency and Parliamentary life and will have responsibility for coordinating the team’s busy workload.
This role would suit someone highly organised, able to lead and motivate a team and driven to make real impact for the people of Poplar and Limehouse.
The ideal candidate will be motivated, confident in acting on their own initiative, comfortable leading the team, able to prioritise a busy workload, and able to demonstrate good political nous.
Duties will include, but not limited to:
- Provide high quality, efficient and effective support to the MP
- Lead a highly professional administrative support function for the MP’s office
- Supervise the office team, including overseeing training and development
- Oversee budgets and keep MP informed of all relevant financial matters
- Engage professionally, confidentially and with care and integrity with members of the public, organisations in the constituency and constituents through a variety of methods
- Take ownership of complex casework
- Monitor incoming calls, face to face enquiries, emails and social media enquiries
- Ensure records are kept and information managed confidentially in line with the data protection legislation
- Liaise with House of Commons authorities and external bodies; including Government Ministers and other senior stakeholders
- Horizon-scanning, anticipate what advice or action may be required; proactively identify problems and resolve them
- Have final signoff on all relevant delegated areas from the MP
- The role holder will be required to work outside of the normal working hours, including attending events with the MP as required
- Experience working as a senior administrator and team manager
- A genuine interest in helping constituents
- Ability to lead and motivate a team
- A highly motivated staff member, with a positive can-do attitude and ability to work independently and collectively as part of a small team
- Outstanding written and verbal skills, with keen attention to detail
- An interest in current affairs, local and national politics