Selaine Saxby MP is looking to recruit a Constituency Support Manager to join her team, based in Barnstaple, to support her work on behalf of the constituents of North Devon. This is a maternity cover contract, fixed term role, for an initial period of 10 months.
The Constituency Support Manager will be responsible for managing Selaine’s busy constituency diary and will assist with local meetings, surgeries, and events, as well as engaging with constituents and other stakeholders. The postholder will support constituency casework and enquiries, as well as provide administrative support and assist the Office Manager with the running of the office.
Selaine is looking for a team member who is passionate about the difference MPs can make to the lives of their constituents, with strong initiative and someone who is keen to make their mark, make the role their own, and support the work of a busy team working on pressing local and national issues. A positive attitude and willingness to roll up your sleeves is much more valuable than directly relevant experience.
This role requires a flexible and can-do attitude and the ability to deal sensitively and empathetically with local stakeholders, constituents and casework. Applicants should have an awareness of the constituency and be sympathetic with the values of the Conservative party.
Duties will include, but not limited to:
- Helping to plan and arrange constituency visits
- Assisting with surgeries, local meetings and events
- Researching local, regional and national issues to support the MP’s work
- Engaging with constituents’ face to face, over the telephone and in writing
- Assisting with the external communication presence of the MP’s office, through local press and social media
- Supporting the team with constituency casework
- Must be able to drive and have use of a car
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong organisational/administrative skills with good attention to detail
- Ability to work independently and within a small team
- Good general IT skills and competence with Microsoft Office packages
- Able to deal with issues in a confidential manner
- An interest in current affairs, local and national politics
- Competitive salary within IPSA pay-scales £28,311-£43,673
- Generous employer contribution pension scheme
- 25 days annual leave (plus bank holidays)
- Access to training and professional development opportunities
- Employee Assistance Programme
Full time or part time hours available, please state your preference in your cover letter.
Upon appointment you will be required to apply for security clearance, undertaken by the Security Vetting and Pass Office. See Members’ Staff Security Clearance page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
You must have lived in the UK for a minimum of 3 years out of the last 5 years, and able to supply proof of your right to work in the UK.