Sir Geoffrey Cox KC MP is looking to recruit a full-time Senior Parliamentary Assistant to join his team, in Westminster. The ideal candidate must have previous experience working for an MP and the role would suit someone seeking the next step in their career in Parliament.
The successful candidate will be responsible for providing research and briefings on a wide range of topics and be able to proactively identify opportunities for pursuing local, regional and national issues to support the MPs work. You should be able to manage competing priorities efficiently and calmly; be competent and confident acting on your own initiative, as well as being a strong team-player.
Duties will include, but not limited to:
- Ensuring the MP is fully briefed on business of the House
- Lead on project work, and establish and develop strategies around research development
- Prepare and present briefing notes for committees, parliamentary questions, articles, and press releases
- Compiling research and briefing packs for MP, on local, national, and regional issues
- Produce and present high quality written reports, briefing notes and professional advice
- Horizon scanning to identify opportunities to pursue topics of local importance and to progress priority campaigns
- Manage and progress casework as required
- Drafting correspondence on a wide variety of issues
- Experience of working in Parliament and knowledge of the resources available to MPs
- Outstanding written and verbal skills, with keen attention to detail
- Ability to complete work quickly, to a high standard, often under pressure
- Professionalism, diplomacy, and political awareness are essential
- There may be a requirement for the role holder to work outside of normal working hours, including assisting with events with the MP as requested