Pauline Latham OBE MP is looking for a part-time (20 hours negotiable) Senior Parliamentary Assistant to join her busy staff team in her Westminster office. The successful candidate should have previous experience of working in Parliament or in a similar role.
The main responsibilities of the role are: researching material, preparing briefings, newsletters, reports, speech drafts, and maintaining the Member’s website and assisting with her social media activity.
Please note that the Member will be standing down at the next election and therefore this position is temporary.
Requirements of the role include:
- At least 12 months’ previous experience working in Parliament
- Excellent communication skills, with very high quality written skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to work independently, prioritise a heavy workload, work under pressure and work as well we working as part of a team.
- Educated to degree level.
- Competent use of a range of IT packages.
- A knowledge of Mid-Derbyshire would be advantageous.
- Sensitive to the work of the Conservative Party
Duties will include but not be limited to:
- Undertaking research thoroughly and accurately. Analysing, evaluating and interpreting data on key issues.
- Drafting Parliamentary Questions.
- Developing and maintaining a knowledge of ongoing legislation and a strong command of legislative and parliamentary procedures.
- Drafting written correspondence on a range of issues.
- Drafting briefings on a range of policy issues as necessary.
- Writing articles and preparing media briefs as necessary
- Monitoring media coverage and liaising with the media as necessary.
- Developing and managing a range of social media platforms.
- Organising Parliamentary events and receptions on behalf of the MP
Upon appointment you will be required to apply for security clearance, undertaken by the Security Vetting and Pass Office. See Members’ Staff Security Clearance page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
You must have lived in the UK for a minimum of 3 years out of the last 5 years, and able to supply proof of your right to work in the UK