Fay Jones MP is looking to recruit a full-time Parliamentary Assistant to join her team, in Westminster. The ideal candidate will be highly motivated and proactive, and will be responsible for providing research and briefings on a wide range of topics as well as developing and pursuing strategies for taking up local campaigns.
The position would suit a candidate with some experience in Westminster, seeking the next step in their career in Parliament. You should be able to manage competing priorities efficiently and calmly; be competent and confident acting on your own initiative, as well as being a strong team-player.
Duties will include, but not limited to:
- Diary Management (in conjunction with constituency office team)
- Compiling research and briefing packs for MP, on local, national and regional issues
- Ensuring the MP is fully briefed on business of the House
- Prepare and present briefing notes for committees, parliamentary questions, debates etc
- Drafting speeches and interventions
- Horizon scanning to identify opportunities to pursue topics of local importance and to progress priority campaigns
- Assist in the progression of casework as required
- Drafting correspondence on a wide variety of issues
- Engaging with a wide variety of stakeholders to support Fay’s work
- Attend and participate in meetings as appropriate, taking notes and drafting appropriate submissions and interventions
- Experience of working in Parliament and knowledge of the resources available to MPs
- Outstanding written and verbal skills, with keen attention to detail
- Ability to complete work quickly, to a high standard, often under pressure
- An interest in current affairs and the issues affecting the constituency
- An understanding of devolved administrations and awareness of the political landscape in Wales.
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.