Selaine Saxby MP is looking to recruit a Junior Parliamentary Assistant, to join her small Westminster based team, who will be focused on supporting the MP to ensure that constituents concerns are heard and actioned. This is a unique opportunity to be part of a team making a real impact for the constituents of North Devon.
Selaine is looking for a team member who is passionate about the difference MPs can make to the lives of their constituents, with strong initiative and someone who is keen to make their mark, make the role their own, and support the work of a busy team working on pressing local and national issues. A positive attitude and willingness to roll up your sleeves and learn is much more valuable than directly relevant experience.
- Assist in the updating of social media, including creating content and editing graphics and videos
- Opening and dispatching mail
- Assisting with queries from members of the public
- Assisting with replies to constituents’ correspondence
- Assisting the Office Manager with arrangements for events (non-political)
- Responding to enquiries by telephone and e-mail, passing on queries to other team members/MP as appropriate
- Assisting the Office Manager with administrative support
- Log cases; monitor progress and ensure identified actions are taken
- Handling administrative arrangements for meetings with members of the public at Westminster
- Photocopying, filing, record-keeping and drafting correspondence
- Other duties, as may be required to assist the smooth running of the office
The successful candidate will demonstrate the following skills and attributes:
- Good skills using social media
- Strong written and oral communication skills and an excellent telephone manner
- Competent use of IT and Microsoft Office
- The ability to work with sensitivity, discretion and with strict adherence to data protection legislation
- Organised and able to prioritise a demanding workload to meet tight deadlines
- Confident at speaking to people at all levels and maintaining confidentiality
- Awareness and understanding of current political issues
- Ability to work proactively and independently as part of a small team
- Sympathy with the aims and values of the Conservative Party
Part time and full time applications will be considered, please state your preference in your covering letter.
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.