Job Title: Parliamentary Internship
Working For: Alicia Kearns (Rutland and Melton)
Location: Constituency, with occasional travel to Parliament
Salary: Inline with IPSA payscales
Length of Contract: Fixed-term 9-12 months
Alicia Kearns MP is seeking an enthusiastic local student or recent graduate to assist her with local campaigns, casework, and special projects. The successful applicant will work in Alicia’s constituency office in Melton, working with and learning from the team, and developing their skills in responding to and supporting questions and concerns from Rutland and Melton residents.
• Assist in responding to casework from residents and helping casework team draft replies on key issues.
• Assist Ms Kearns with special projects.
• Assist with All Party Parliamentary Groups, in addition to providing experience of other Parliamentary work.
• Assist with research on local and national policy issues.
• Assist with office admin, media monitoring, and support.
The role would suit a highly organised individual with the ability to work independently, show initiative and work well as part of a wider team. Good organisational and administrative skills, with the ability to prioritise tasks is key. The successful applicant should be sympathetic to the ideological values of the Conservative Party and care deeply for the local community in Rutland and Melton.
We particularly welcome applicants who are looking for practical professional experience with career ambitions within public service, and will offer support with their career development.
Key skills required include:
• Strong organisational/administrative skills with good attention to detail
• Good general IT skills and competence with Microsoft Office packages
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Ability to work independently and within a small team
• Good understanding of local issues in Rutland and Melton, and ability to work with a variety of stakeholders, big and small.
• A positive can-do attitude, with a proactive attitude.
• Strong writing abilities, in a variety of registers.
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.