Sir Geoffrey Cox KC MP is looking to recruit a Constituency Support Officer to join his team, in Tavistock, to support him with his work on behalf of the constituents of Torridge and West Devon.
This is an entry-level Parliamentary position, and Sir Geoffrey is looking for a team member who is passionate about the difference MPs can make to the lives of their constituents, with strong initiative and someone who is keen to make their mark, make the role their own, and support the work of a busy team working on pressing local and national issues. A positive attitude and willingness to roll up your sleeves and learn is much more valuable than directly relevant experience.
This role requires a flexible and can-do attitude and the ability to deal sensitively and empathetically with local stakeholders, constituents and casework. Applicants should have an awareness of the constituency and be sympathetic with the values of the Conservative party.
Duties will include, but not limited to:
- Supporting the constituency team with casework
- Helping to plan and arrange constituency visits
- Assisting with surgeries, local meetings and events
- Researching local, regional and national issues to support the MP’s work
- Managing a large portfolio of casework, following up enquiries and progressing constituent’s concerns as required
- Engaging with constituents’ face to face, over the telephone and in writing
- Assisting with the external communication presence of the MP’s office, through local press and social media
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong organisational/administrative skills with good attention to detail
- Ability to work independently and within a small team
- Good general IT skills and competence with Microsoft Office packages
- Able to deal with issues in a confidential manner
- An interest in current affairs, local and national politics
• Competitive salary within IPSA pay-scales £21,529-£34,599
• Generous employer contribution pension scheme
• 25 days annual leave (plus bank holidays)
• Access to training and professional development opportunities
• Employee Assistance Programme
This is a full-time role, Monday – Friday 9-5.30pm, on an initial 6-month contract with a view to being made permanent. The successful candidate will be based in the West Devon area and able to work in the Tavistock office.
Upon appointment you will be required to apply for security clearance, undertaken by the Security Vetting and Pass Office. See Members’ Staff Security Clearance page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
You must have lived in the UK for a minimum of 3 years out of the last 5 years, and able to supply proof of your right to work in the UK.