Fay Jones MP is looking to recruit an experienced full-time Chief of Staff to join her team, based in Westminster.
You will work closely with Fay to deliver her priorities for her constituents and will be heavily involved in all aspects of Parliamentary life, including responsibility for coordinating the team’s busy workload.
The ideal candidate will be motivated, confident in acting on their own initiative, comfortable leading the team, able to prioritise a busy workload, and able to demonstrate good political nous.
Duties will include, but not limited to:
- Run the MP’s Parliamentary office – provide high quality, efficient and effective support.
- Take the lead on developing policy and strategy.
- Develop relationships and act as the key point of contact for stakeholders.
- Horizon-scanning, anticipate what advice or action may be required; proactively identify problems and resolve them
- Undertake research and analyse data to ensure the Member is accurately informed on key issues.
- Develop and maintain a strong working knowledge of Parliamentary business including bills, legislation and debates.
- Ensure the Member is fully briefed on debates, potential questions and motions to be put to the House
- Provide briefings, draft questions and speeches.
- Give advice on policy issues.
- Attend and participate in meetings as appropriate
- Draft press releases, keep the website updated, and design and develop engaging and targeted content across a range of channels.
- Supervise the office team, including overseeing training and development
- Oversee budgets and keep MP informed of all relevant financial matters
- Previous Parliamentary experience; including staff management experience
- A genuine interest in helping constituents
- Ability to lead and motivate a team
- A highly motivated staff member, with a positive can-do attitude and ability to work independently and collectively as part of a small team
- Outstanding written and verbal skills, with keen attention to detail
- An interest in current affairs, local and national politics
The ideal candidate will have awareness of devolved administrations and a keen awareness of the political landscape in Wales