Alicia Kearns, MP for Rutland and Melton, is looking for a Parliamentary Researcher or Parliamentary Assistant. This is a full-time role based in Westminster with travel to Rutland and Melton.
Looking for a team member who is passionate about the difference MPs can make to the lives of their constituents, with strong initiative and is keen to make their mark, make the role their own, and support the work of a busy team working on pressing national issues. A positive attitude and willingness to roll up your sleeves and learn is much more valuable than directly relevant experience.
The role would suit a highly organised individual with the ability to work independently, show initiative and work well as part of a wider team. Good organisational skills, with the ability to prioritise tasks is key. We particularly welcome applicants who are looking for practical professional experience with career ambitions within public service and will offer support with their career development.
The role will include:
– Assisting with, and leading on some, research on local and national policy issues, and all parliamentary activities including parliamentary speeches, questions, reports and more
– Leading on All Party Parliamentary Group activity on a range of subjects, in addition to providing experience of other Parliamentary work
– Developing expertise in responding to the policy needs of constituents, and assisting with casework as required
– Leading on daily issues management with the MP
– Assisting with special projects
– Additional duties dependent on candidate
– There will be a requirement for the role holder to work outside of normal working hours and travel to the constituency.
Key skills required include:
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Strong organisational/administrative skills with good attention to detail.
• Ability to work independently and within a small team.
• A positive can-do attitude, with a proactive attitude.
• The ability to work to tight deadlines and complete tasks at short notice in a high-pressure environment.
• Strong writing abilities, in a variety of registers.
• Loyalty and discretion at all times, on matters sensitive or otherwise.
• Engage with stakeholders professionally, confidentially, and with care and integrity.
• Good general IT skills and competence with Microsoft Office packages.
Interest in Rutland and Melton, foreign affairs and national security very welcome.
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 28th October 2021, but early applications welcome, with interviews commencing from 20th October
Interview/Start Dates: Looking to appoint the right candidate ASAP
Application Details: Please send your CV and brief cover letter to email@example.com. Applications without a specific cover letter will not be reviewed. In the email subject matter, please state ‘[YOUR NAME] – Policy Assistant for Alicia Kearns MP’