Caseworker (2x posts available). Initial fixed term roles of 4-6 months, with potential to extend
Apsana Begum MP is looking to hire two Caseworkers to be part of her team in Poplar and Limehouse. Caseworkers play an important role in an MP’s office, supporting the MP to ensure that constituents concerns are heard and actioned. Applicants should have an interest in local & national politics, an awareness of the constituency & be sympathetic with the values of the Labour party.
The successful candidates will be well-organised and pro-active with strong communication skills. This role also requires a flexible and can-do attitude and the ability to deal sensitively and empathetically with constituents and casework.
- A highly motivated staff member, with a positive attitude and ability to work collectively as part of a team
- Experience of supervising and managing a team
- Experience of casework, a public facing role or working directly with the general public
- Previous experience in providing housing, immigration and/or legal advice
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and confidence interacting with, and advocating on behalf of, a wide range of people
- Clear and concise letter writing style
- Strong IT skills and the ability to use casework management software (training will be provided)
- Good attention to detail and ability to prioritise their workload
- An interest in current affairs, local and national politics and sympathy with Labour Party values
Duties will include, but not limited to:
- Answering enquiries from constituents and progressing casework as required
- Logging cases, monitoring progress, and ensuring data is held and processed in accordance with Regulations
- Overseeing diary management inline with existing protocols
- Arranging and accompanying MP to surgeries, and local meetings as required.
- Ensure that casework is dealt with promptly, sensitively, confidentially and accurately
- Liaise with Government agencies, local government departments, housing associations and others to resolve constituency matters
- Recruit and manage volunteers
You must have lived in the UK for a minimum of 3 years out of the last 5 years, and able to supply proof of your right to work in the UK.
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.