For new and prospective Parliamentary staff.
MP’s offices are busy and often recruit due to staff shortages. More often than not, new positions go to those who have had previous Parliamentary experience already know the basics.
Our Caseworker Academy provides you with the crucial knowledge and practical skills you need to hit the ground running and show the value you can offer to any Parliamentary team.
This unique course ensures you can find your way around the most commonly used Casework Management System, as well as the other tools and support available to MPs and their staff.
With hundreds of applicants for every entry-level Parliamentary vacancy, investing in your own personal development will ensure your CV stands out amongst the crowd.
Our course is also perfect for anyone who has recently started in Parliament and is looking for a comprehensive induction programme.
Session 1 – Introduction to Parliamentary Life
- Role of an MP
- Tools of an MP
- Courtesies and protocols
- Digital Services
- Table Office
Session 2 – Parliamentary offices
- Working across split offices
- Communicating with constituents
- Incoming/Outgoing correspondence
- Utilising resources available to staff
Session 3 – Caseworker Tools
- Looking at frequently used Casework Management Software
- How to process casework
- Handling confidential data
- Dealing with the general public
- Working with Government Departments and local stakeholders
Session 4 – Parliamentary Research Skills
- Tools for Parliamentary research
- Preparing briefing packs
- Tabling Parliamentary Questions
- Drafting press releases
Session 5 – Finding and Starting a new job
- CV & cover letter review
- Undertaking application exercises
- Interview skills
- Building a network
- How to handle your first day/week
- Where to find help.
By the end of this course you should be able to:
- Confidently apply for Parliamentary jobs, knowing the skills and qualities they will be looking for
- Understand how Parliamentary offices work and the split between Westminster and Constituency based teams
- Use the basic functions of Casework Management Software
- Understand how to process correspondence from constituents
- Carry out research to support the MP and the Parliamentary team
Next Academy: Monday 25th January – Friday 29th January 2021 (5 days)
9.00am – 4.30pm (virtual)
Cost: £395 + VAT
Limited spaces available.
Our Academy sessions are currently taking place remotely, over Zoom. You will receive a certificate on completion of the course to note your participation.
If you would like to discuss the Academy training further, please do drop us an email, or give us a call.
0203 488 4193
If you would like to discuss any of the services we offer, please do get in touch.
0203 488 4193